As you know… I’m an honest and transparent person. That’s just how I operate. So, since you know that I have a babe growing in me now, we are just gonna be real about it. Be prepared. If this is not your cup of tea, just steer clear of the posts mentioning baby or pregnancy. This is your only warning.
I’ve never been pregnant before. I’ve never really wanted to know the details of the day-to-day prego life, so I’m learning a lot of these things on the fly. Maybe there’s other gals out there who just want to save the learning until the day it happens to them. Totally fine! I’m just going to let you in on some stuff you might not know… or maybe all other women know this and I’m just the weirdo over here. Either way… I don’t mind looking stupid. Just gonna share the journey… whatever it may look like. So here’s wisdom… from me to you. You’re welcome.
- Y’all… I did NOT know that you start counting your weeks of pregnancy right after your period! What is that? You would think they would start as soon as it really happens. Why didn’t I know this? Thankful for friends who are baby pros to let me in on this nugget before I looked real dumb in front of the doc. P.S. you should keep up with your monthly schedule… it helps to know if you are late or not. I forget those things.
- There’s a lot of women who don’t experience morning sickness! I haven’t been sick at all. I have had a few nauseous moments, but no vomiting. I’ve been super duper tired… like I just want to sleep all the time. Not normal for me. I was a bit panicky because I thought morning sickness was like a tell-tell sign that you were truly preggers. Well… after talking with my doc, talking with friends, and hearing my mom’s experience… it seems it’s pretty common to never barf. Hooray! I really didn’t want to experience that joy… but I was willing if that’s what it took. So… don’t fret if you aren’t sick! Just rejoice… and go eat some more food.
- CRAMPS! I have had some cramps/twinges of pain in my abdomen. I freaked out of course because that could only mean BAD! I had to ask my trusted friend, Google. Apparently cramps/twinges of pain had because the uterus and ligaments are stretching! Alrighty then. I verified this with a medical friend. She confirmed. As long as there’s not blood… it’s all good. Interesting. My uterus is stretching. My body will NEVER be the same again. Bye bye body… it’s for a good cause.
- The dreams!!! Oh my goodness… the dreams are so weird and so vivid. Even though I’m so tired, I don’t feel like I sleep because I truly feel like I’m really living life in my dreams! And they are strange dreams. Some are good dreams. Some are super scary dreams. And others are just flat out weird – the other night I had a dream that my high school required ALL alumni to go to school for one day. We HAD to go…. it was mandatory. Maybe it’s because my TEN YEAR REUNION is coming up… I don’t know. So me and some of my friends from this area (not Jacob though… I knew he was in Costa Rica), loaded up and headed to school for the day. In the dream I kept saying, “Why are we going to school? I’m 27 years old… I don’t need to go back to high school. This is awful…” So, my brain was working overtime, but I just couldn’t snap out of it. So strange. I guess it’s the weirdo hormones. I don’t think I ever made it to the school either.
- Pregnancy apps are the best thing… and the devil! It is the COOLEST thing in the whole world to see how your baby is growing and what’s happening inside of you! Like finding out that the ‘blueberry” was growing fingers and toes, its appendix, pancreas, and its brain cells were reproducing at 100 cells/minute. Y’all… that’s so cool!! I still don’t get how they know they stuff… but whatever… I’ll take it and let it soak in. BUT they can also be the devil… planting seeds of crazy fears with all these other moms-to-be posting stuff that make you freak out. Gotta guard that mind! Whew… focus on the good.
- Sneezing. Yes… it’s true. I am sneezing a lot. Apparently there’s extra mucus happening for reasons I don’t want to discuss. Therefore… it makes you sneeze more. And then when you sneeze you may feel one of the twinges of pains because of your stretching uterus! Lovely stuff people!
- PIMPLES! My face looks like a 13-year-old going through puberty. Pimples galore. I mean I knew that this could happen because of all the hormones that are roused up through this process, but… whew… there’s a new pimple friend every day. The lil’ kidney bean is worth all the zits.
I think that’s enough for now. Don’t worry… I’ll enlighten you more and more as the journey progresses. I know you can’t wait!
For now… I leave you with the verses I will be praying over this pregnancy for myself, my family, and my baby:
5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God[c];
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
11 One thing God has spoken,
two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
12 and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
according to what they have done.”
Psalm 62:5-8, 11-12